Monday, September 28, 2009
For this assignment we were told to draw 4 to 5 leaves in a composition 4 different ways. These consisted of the following: A detailed contour with shadows, contour, blind contour, and a negative space contour. The photos are posted in this order.
Thursday, September 24, 2009
For our third project we had to construct a 4" x 4"x 4" cube out of bristol board with an 8"x 8" base, and have it elevated 4" above the ground by an integral structure made from plastic drinking straws. I first made a sketch model out of cardboard on which i tested out a bunch of techniques to get the sides of the cube to stay together. My original idea was to weave a side of the cube out of straws. Then I made this model from bristol board and found that it kept bowing when i tried to weave the straws. In response, i decided to settle with cross beams to hold the cube off the ground. These cross beams also give the cube the appearance of being torn apart. Although, there is still something to be desired in this project. I plan on continuing to play around with different ideas to try and improve it even more.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
For this project we had to create a container for a special object using paper, fabric and thread. I chose to make my container by scoring the sides of a piece of cardboard, and stitching the side together with brown thread. I used the same thread to make my loom on which i decided to weave my own fabric. My first prototype was not very effective because it didn't have a place for me to put the ring (my special object) where it wouldn't fall out. this is what brought about my second loom. The way it is woven creates a hole in the center between the 2 triangle shapes where I am then able to place my ring.
the reason I chose this ring as my special object is because a friend made it for me on a mission trip. On the mission trip we worked a lot with the homeless which inspired the tattered cardboard and the sloppy stitches. We also worked a great deal with children, which is what inspired the use of blue, and pink thread in the fabric.
My most recent change to this project is in response to comments made during our final critique of this project. I was told that my project would be more effective if the thread were brown, like the stitching on the side.
Friday, September 11, 2009
For our second sketchbook assignment we were told to do a pure contour drawing of the Julius Foust Building here on campus. Our guidelines were as follows: We must draw the building in its entirety, NO shading, and we were allowed to use pencil as long as we kept the erasing to a minimum. I found this task challenging because as I was drawing I found myself zooming in on certain parts of the building, and I would have to go back, or start over to fix them.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
For this assignment we were supposed to draw a sketch of 5 special objects, and do a blind contour drawing along with each sketch.
Sketch No. 1 is the sketch and blind contour of the hat I got on a trip with my family to the San Diego Zoo. The zoo was my favorite part of the whole trip :)
Sketch No. 2 is the sketch and blind contour of my bear "Big One" that i have had since I was 5 years old :)
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
From this project, I learned the importance of "trial and error". After rebuilding this project a total of three times, perseverance played a key role in my completion of this project. Some key phrases I would like to remember from our discussions of this project are: "Design is a reductive process", "Simplicity can be complexity", and one of my own design, "Plan A is just as important as Plan B."