Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflections Summary

From the reflections unit I chose to read the work of Nathen Howel, Blakeni Walls, and Dajana Nedic. These people in particular I have always admired for their work, and their ability to bring something new to the table each time we have an assignment, both in and out of studio.

Nathen Howel is a Beautiful writer. Every time I read his work I sit there in awe because I feel like I am reading a textbook. On the other hand, each sentence is worded so eloquently I feel as if it must be of a more creative genre as well. Nathen is also a wonderful digital artist. He does portraits that you would swear on your life were real photographs. So thank you Nathen for doing what you do. You are my Photoshop/IAR 222 hero!

Dajana, who is one of my classmates in studio, is also my hero in a similar way. Dajana is a wonderful artist. Everything she does is amazing, especially her handwork. It is beautiful. Dajana also has this ability to bring something uniquely abstract to the table. For instance, in her essay she talks about the “wheels of revolution”, and to illustrate it she uses this wonderful optical illusion.

Blakeni, all the while, in my mind is the Queen of unique, everything she does from the way she writes (with her left hand), to the way she dresses is unique. So it would make sense that her understanding of the material is also unique. She explains the material in terms of a clock. “In the 19th century I have observed that design is formed through the hands of time and operates like the gears that move inside a clock… working and fighting against each other in order for it to tell the right story in and of that specific time (Blakeni).” After I read this I could help but think… Bingo! Yatzee! You got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment