Friday, February 11, 2011

Jenga 2.0: Reflective Synopsis








One of my main goals for this year was to improve my ability to use the digital rendering software programs I have been exposed to thus far in second year, these include: Rhino, Photoshop, Sketch up, and Illustrator. This is a goal of mine because I have always worked well by hand and as much as I love to hand render and hand draft, it is a very time consuming process. In addition, I have never been a very technologically savvy person. The design world is making a shift into the digital realm, and I thought now I the time to change.

I began this quest into a brave new world of technology by producing my first set of completely digital boards for this project. I used Sketch up, and Illustrator as the two primary programs to make my boards. My goal for my digital work is to improve consecutively each project. Perhaps even reach a quality of work that resembles that of Corry Mears. In addition to being graphically well executed, Corry’s boards clearly communicate his ideas through light, material, and a sense of hierarchy.

In addition to my boards, I used Rhino to create a cut file for the pieces of my model. In doing this I was able to use the laser cutter to get a very clean cut on all parts of my model. Although I find this method very effective, I find that I am still in need of more practice when it comes to the joinery of these parts. For that I look to Kara Kooy, one of my classmates, who builds beautifully composed and beautifully crafted models. Although we use the same resources and materials, my goal is to reach a quality of work that is similar to hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment