Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ritual Object Project part 1: The Process

For our first project of the semester we were told that it would be an autonomous project, We can make what ever we wanted for our ritual object. My object so happened to be my bottle of perfume. As we soon figured out this project would become the not so autonomous project. We had to make two accessories for our ritual object with one that had to be made of wood. The other we could use a material of our choice. Our accessories had to relate to each other, and they must aid in the performance of the ritual in which the object is involved in. Which we had to write out with a 200 word minimum. Although this particular requirement did eventually become more of a suggestion. But now, without further ado, I will explain my particular creation.
For this project i chose to make nesting boxes (several boxes that fit inside each other) made of wood, and a cap and cover made from copper wire form for my perfume bottle. My first attempt at the boxes didn't go well because when I glued the sides of my box together they warped and bent outward causing my lid not to fit, but upon further examination of my lid I discovered a way to make a warp free box! The way the bottom of the lid came together it formed a 1/4" ring which moved me to try cutting a bunch of them and glue them together to form 3 boxes of varying sizes, along with a base and a lid, and it worked! :D
The way my two accessories relate to one another is through the repetition of the copper mesh used in the cap and cover for the bottle and on the lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment