Tuesday, August 31, 2010

reading Comp. No. 1, quest.4


4) After reading de Botton’s an Architecture of Happiness, I have come to the conclusion that there really is such a thing. This idea was realized in my mind when I read the following quote: “It is in dialogue with pain that many beautiful things acquire their value.” This quote really hit me hard because 2 weeks from this Saturday I lost my best friend. He died in a Parkur accident. Parkur is a technique of moving through one’s environment using only the human body. He died after jumping from a ledge that was too high.

Now before this, Andrew and I were good friends in high school, and before he moved off to California for school he gave me a small palm plant that came in a yellow pot made in Germany, his family was originally from there. The palm grew ad had to be moved to a different pot, but I still use the other one in my room as a pencil holder. It is amazing to me how such a small object can bring back so many memories, or rather; make a person feel so many different things at one time.

The pot itself has a simple curvilinear form and is painted a bright shade of yellow, displaying prominently a sticker that says “SOENDGEN KERAMIK, made in Germany”. Despite the sadness, sorrow, and pain I feel for the loss of my best friend, the cheery shade of yellow reminds me of the day he left (also the day I made him laugh until he cried), the love, kindness, and hospitality he and his family have always shown me. Therefore through the memories associated with a particular object, said object acquires an architecture of happiness, thus gaining a much higher value and appreciation than before. Consequently, no matter the trend, the color of the room, etc. this pot that Andrew, my best friend, gave me so graciously will always be displayed prominently on my desk.

May you always be in peace Andy, my dearest friend.

1 comment:

  1. A well written comment, and obviously inspired by a great person. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete