Thursday, January 20, 2011

Designer Bio: Draft 2


During the course of this semester I would like to improve upon the skills I already posses, develop new skills as a designer, improve my ability to communicate my ideas clearly, and to improve upon my understanding of how the principles and elements of design fit within the design process.

As a designer, I believe one of my greatest strengths is my handwork. Art has always been a big part of my life. I began my career as an artist at a very early age. I have been drawing in two dimensions since I was in kindergarten. In addition to drawing, I find that writing is also one of my strengths. Often times I understand my own ideas better if I write them out. I am also a very visually oriented person. This gives me the ability to clearly envision a space before it ever exists, and to see the big picture in terms of space, color, texture, etc.

Although I am skilled in translating my ideas onto paper, I have often had trouble moving these ideas into the digital realm. Computers have always been a challenge to me. Therefore, to over come this difficulty would mean a great deal to me. It also doesn’t help that I am a bit of a perfectionist (which I consider to be both a strength and a flaw). Another thing that I have struggled with in the past is seeing how the principles and elements of design become a conscious part of design. I understand how they work and why, but I wonder how to design with them at a conscious level. My personal use of them has always been subconscious and intuitive, rather than strategic.

Through the exercises we did in class I learned a good deal more about who I am as a designer. I learned that my work is consistently cohesive, I have a good flow of ideas, and I am able to translate concepts and ideas into my designs well. It also made me happy to hear that I have good time management skills. This something I work hard to achieve. Although, what made me most proud was when I discovered I was a Pragmatist on the Change Scale. I’m proud that I help establish balance in the design world. Pragmatists are those who are generally able to see both sides of the issue, and work as mediators between the two opposite sides. It also pleased me to hear that pragmatists usually don’t make the same mistake twice (also something I make a conscious effort to achieve).

No comments:

Post a Comment